I will on June 14th 2017 present a session on legal and ethical principles in end of life in dementia for a community of practice run for 38 specialists, for Dementia UK and Hospice UK.
I will give a hour one talk on the following topics.
- Definition of end of life
- Legal method
- Introduction to ethical dilemmas
- Four ethical principles
- Duty of care
- Mental capacity
- Best interests and advocates
- Advance decisions
- Abuse and neglect
- Advance care planning
- Deprivation of liberty safeguards
- UN Convention on Rights for Persons with Disabilities
- Artificial nutrition and hydration
- Do not attempt resuscitation
- Assisted suicide and euthanasia
I will then discuss with the group collective responses to eight legal and ethical scenarios.